In collaboration with the Goethe-Institut Dänemark, Skaftfell will be able to offer a grant to one artist, for a two-month residency between September – December 2016.
Application deadline: March 15, 2016.
The aim of the Residency Program at Skaftfell is to create and nurture an environment for inspiration; to encourage artists to experience life and work in a unique micro community where creativity is applied to the everyday; to foster a sense of community between artists and the public in the rural setting of East-Iceland; to facilitate circumstances for artists to experience, reflect and explore new possibilities for their practice and provide conditions that stimulate the dialogue between art and life.The program is aimed primarily at visual artists but those with interdisciplinary practices are also eligible to apply.
The residency program is self-directed with support from the staff at Skaftfell, who can assist artists-in-residence in pursuing their artistic research and practice. Artists-in-residence are welcome to participate in the Skaftfell educational program, including artist talks, presentations or workshops for the local community, and to present their work at the Bookshop-projectspace run by Skaftfell.
The grant includes
- Travel grant up to 650 EUR for international and domestic travel to Seyisfjrur. Collectable after booking.
- Monthly allowance of 1000 EUR per month.
- Fully covered residency fee.
- Production costs up to 350 EUR.
Criteria and application process
Artists are selected by a panel of individuals active in the field of visual arts and culture, with panel members varying from year to year. The selection of artists is based on their practices artistic quality and innovation, as well as on the artists ability to work independently and professionally within the program.
Skaftfell uses the following criteria when evaluating applicants:
- Primarily the quality of the applicants work as indicated by submitted visual documentation.
- Demonstration of a serious and consistent dedication to the professional practice of visual arts through submitted documents.
- Evaluation that a specific project or practice is especially relevant for a residency at Skaftfell or connects to the current overall curatorial strategies at Skaftfell.
- Exhibition record and curriculum vitae. Evidence that the applicant is at a critical juncture in his or her development as an artist that will be advanced by the residency.
Questions can be directed to residency(at)skaftfell.is or phone +354 472 1632
Goethe-Institut Dänemark Culture program in Iceland: http://www.goethe.de/ins/is/de/rey.html?wt_sc=island