Skaftfell invites applications for the Self-directed Residencies once a year. The yearly calls for applications are typically open from early June to early September, or as announced.
For the Thematic Residencies, calls for applications are sent out at various times in the year, at least six months before the start date of the residency.
Applications are accepted in response to one of the calls, and are submitted through our online application forms. A direct link to the relevant form is provided in each call announcement.
Required attachments to the application form:
- Statement of intent/research proposal for your residency at Skaftfell;
- Portfolio of 5-10 images, showing previous projects/works that are especially relevant to your proposal and aims for the residency;
Evaluation: The applications will be reviewed by an external panel of art professionals, appointed by Skaftfell. Only complete applications will be reviewed. The main evaluation criteria are:
- the originality and artistic quality of the applicant’s practice and working proposal;
- evidence that the applicant is at a critical juncture in his/her development as an artist that will be advanced by the residency;
- the practical feasibility of the working proposal within Skaftfell’s local context and the residency’s framework;
- evidence of the applicant’s ability to work independently and in a group context (for the thematic residencies) on a professional level.
Successful applicants will be offered a place on the program. Upon acceptance of the place, a reservation fee is required in advance to reserve the residency slot. The reservation fee counts towards the total residency fee. It is however not refundable in case of cancellation.
For more information please contact [email protected]